Liberty Mills Church of the Brethren

The congregation currently known as the Liberty Mills Church of the Brethren has its roots in the Eel River Church of the Brethren near Silver Lake, Indiana which began in 1838.  After weathering a split in 1852, the congregation continued to grow and built on their current site in 1860.  At that same time they planted a church for their eastern most members which was called the East House or Plunge Creek Chapel.  The first meetings were held in a school house until a church could be built.

In 1968 Eel River planted another off-shoot called the West House which is the current West Eel River Congregation.

Plunge Creek started a Sunday School in 1890 and Vacation Bible School in 1923.  The Bible School continues today with only the interruption of two years during World War II and once since then when there were many illnesses in the community and it could not be held.

The Plunge Creek Chapel became an independent congregation in 1913.  On April 12, 1929 the building burned to the ground.  The congregation met in the Haines School building until they purchased the old Methodist Church building in Liberty Mills and became the Liberty Mills Church of the Brethren.

The 1940s were very busy ones for the congregation, with a major renovation in 1944, the hiring of Howard Kreider, its first full time pastor, and the purchase of a parsonage about two blocks from the church in 1949. 

Another major renovation and addition followed in 1955 as well as the purchase of 170 acres of farm land near Liberty Mills.  This land was farmed by the Men’s Work group and over the years they were able to donate more than 40 heifers to the Prentiss Institute through Heifer Project, then an agency of the Church of the Brethren. 

In 2011, a 1600 square foot addition was added to the building.  This building project known as, Building for Christ, added much needed classrooms, enlarged the vestibule area and doubled the basement to accommodate church fellowships.  Along with this addition a lift was added, making the building handicap accessible. 

103 North Third Street | Liberty Mills IN 46946 | Phone 260-982-6169
© Copyright 2012 Liberty Mills Church of the Brethren